I love a good children's cookbook and one that made to teach children healthy eating. I was recommended a great book by Stephanie Alexander, Kitchen Garden Cooking With Kids. I have Stephanie Alexander's book, The Cooks Companion, which I love. I am glad my girlfriend told me about her book, but in another way I am not as I keep baking the carrot and walnut cake and eating way too much of it myself. I even stuffed up an order, no big deal, but enough for me to feel guilty, so I sent the customer a slice! She loved it.....
Keely and I baked this one together, (we are messy cooks). It was nice to see her try it in the end with big grated pieces of carrot. To my surprise she still did not like it. Mind you I do have a very fussy eater. But, don't let this make you think it is not good cake, as it is really good cake! Taj and I are sharing it, but of course I am eating more.
I believe it is nice to share recipes, especially when you have found a good one. So today I will be a real mum and share my favourite cake.
Carrot and Walnut Cake
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2-3 medium carrots
125 g self raising flour (I used wholemeal)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (I used ground)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons castor sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* preheat oven to 180 C. Place the oil in a small bowl and brush a small amount of oil in the loaf tin (24cm x 12cm x 7cm). Layer with a piece of baking paper, with a little overhang.
* grate the carrot and set aside, (about 2 cups). chop the walnuts.
* in a medium bowl, lightly whisk the remaining oil and the eggs together. sift the flour, along with the cinnamon and nutmeg, into the large bowl. add the sugar and mix lightly with a wooden spoon. make a well in the middle and pour the oil/egg mixture. combine well and add the carrot and walnuts. spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
* bake for 35-40 minutes. check with a skewer into its middle (it should come out clean). let cake sit in tin for a few minutes in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack. discard the paper.
* to make the topping, melt the butter, then brush the top of the cake with butter. mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and scatter over the top of the cake while it is still warm.
Enjoy! Share it with your friends. Remember it travels well in the post!