Wednesday, December 7, 2011

building a body image

The body is a part of who we are. Mostly we pick it apart, until there is not much of us left. I know in the past I could have picked myself apart, until there was nothing left. Not a great roll model for when I had children.


How one conversation, and a moment for myself can change this.

This afternoon I was getting ready for hill training, and Keely watched me get dressed. She walked in on me with just a crop top on, and my 2XU short tights on. I looked in the mirror and for the first time in my life, I liked what I was looking at. (Hey there are bits I don't like, but overall I am really quite happy with my body image). I said out loud, "I like my body." Keely looked at me in the mirror and touched my belly, and said, "I love your belly mum!"

All those stretch marks, and excess skin cannot be seen. They are still there, and have not disappeared, but the acceptance of my own body image has removed the criticism I had once felt. I am not saying I won't ever look in the mirror and not have a moment, as I believe this is a female thing. But for now, and in front of my daughter, I liked what I was looking at. And it was me.

Keely did not see the bits I would have pulled apart. And that is the way I want her to look at herself, the way I see her; perfect.


*Keely recently asked me if she did not eat her dinner, would that make her skinny. I almost fell off my chair. I sucked it up really fast, and said a straight up, "NO!" I explained that you need to eat good food to grow. We eat together as a family every night. She is not the best eater. Fussy. But together we eat, so she can see what I eat, and what her brother eats. I never want my daughter to have an eating disorder, or an issue with her body image.

2 comments:

  1. Claire (kawaiigirl79)December 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM

    What a sweet and awesome post! You are such a great role model for Keely. I hope I can teach Ruby to love herself also. We cannot all be perfect. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. my daughter's only 3 1/2, the other day she asked me if eating lots of food would make her fat! I don't even know where she's heard that!

    You're right, we have a real responsibility to our kids to teach them about self-love & acceptance!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails